After signing up for Google Analytics, I realised how dismal the real visitors to my site are. In fact, it didn’t even average one visitor a day. I was aghast and started looking for ways to improve my website presence.
I got down to changing all my meta tags – title, meta description and keywords to suit the content of each webpage. I know this doesn’t help much with Google but at least it was a start.
I didn’t want to go down the path of using Adwords just yet. You know, I prefer all things free, organic and DIY. =D
I also updated my sitemap using one of GoDaddy’s free features that came with the web hosting package. I had created the sitemap several weeks back but realised that for it to be effective, it needed to be submitted to Google as well.
Since I changed the look of my site, I had not updated the sitemap and then it dawned on me.
I had renamed all my html files with spaces between them instead of using _. Apparently Google cannot index pages with inappropriate file names. Checking the diagnostics feature on Google Webmaster, my fears were confirmed. Out of the 14 pages, only 2 had been indexed.
What a major boo boo!!